Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Just when you think . . .

Just when you think your kids are handling the new family so well, something snaps you into the reality that they are damaged by their parents divorce. I don't know what it is like to be a child of divorce.  My parents have been together 40+ years, and although no family is perfect, I didn't experience the life my children have.

Tim and I were recently having a normal disagreement about how to stoke the fire, yes a silly subject to disagree on, but I lived on my own in a house with a fireplace for 10 years, I have my own way of doing it. When Tim asked why I was playing in the fire I told him and we disagreed about if it needed stoking or not. A simple few words of disagreement with each others opinions, not yelling, no fighting, just a few disagreeing words.  Suddenly, the middle child holds his hands up, as if to separate us even though we are on different sides of the couch,  and states quite firmly "don't get a divorce".  Shocked we both stopped and suddenly laughed and told him that we are committed to being together for the rest of our lives. We both assured him that when we took the vows at our wedding we meant them and we were stuck together for good and bad! We explained that we trust God brought us together and that we promise him and the other two kids that we are a family and that nothing will tear us apart.

I know this is a big promise.  I hear some of you thinking, 'sure we all thought that on our wedding day', I know some of you have struggled with that promise and some of you have had to break that promise. Some of you are single parents, struggling with how to be the mom & the dad at the same time. I mean no disrespect to you, your situations and your lives are testaments that we never know what the future brings.

Tim & I have all intentions of keeping this promise to each other, our children, our families, and most importantly to God. I only know that the lives of these three precious children have been handed to me, they are the greatest gift my husband has given me.  He trusted me with raising his children, he trusts me more then the woman he made their biological mother. He reminds me frequently of how much they have learned and how stable and loving our home is, how it is the family he had hoped for.  I know that there are times ahead which I can not predict, times that will test that promise but the important thing to remind ourselves at those moments is we made the promise, we meant it, and we have to live it out.

We committed to these kids that we will make a stable loving home for them, we have to assure them at all costs.  Unless one of us loses sight of that promise I am confident that the promise I made can be kept. So I can tell my son, when he blurts out "don't get divorced" that we love each other even when we are arguing and that we will NOT be getting a divorce.  It reminds me that these little lives have been impacted by the actions of their parents, and that even though they were loved through the process, they were damaged.  Nothing but love can heal that wound, nothing but time and always being here for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment